This is by far the most tasty veggie burger recipe I have ever found! The original recipe can be found at Epicure Selections. Here is how I do Nutty Lentil Burgers. Enjoy!
Makes: 8 burgers
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1 8 oz pack of button mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp Epicure Guacamole Dip Mix
1 c roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
1 19oz can of lentils, drained, rinsed
1 c salsa, any kind, divided
1/2 c ground flax seed
your favourite cheese or other burger toppings
- Using a large frying pan, saute mushrooms in oil until softened, about 5 minutes. I chop the sliced mushrooms in half so they are small, bite-sized pieces.
- Add Guacamole Dip Mix to mushrooms. Toss to coat evenly.
- Drain and rinse lentils, add to frying pan. Stir to combine.
- Add sunflower seeds to frying pan. Stir to combine.
- Take about 1/2 of the mushroom mixture and add to a food processor (or similar. I use a Magic Bullet). Pulse until pureed. I add a couple of tbsp of water to the Magic Bullet so everything mixes together better.
- Once pureed, add to a large bowl along with the rest of the mushroom, lentil, sunflower seed mixture, and 1/4 c of the salsa. Add 1/2 c ground flax seed to the mix.
- Use water-moistened hands to mix all ingredients together well.
- Form 1/2 c mixture into 3/4″ patties (makes approx. 8 patties).
- Heat frying pan over medium-high heat. Add patties, cook in batches. Cook until golden and heated through, about 4-6 minutes per side.
- If desired, top patties with your favourite kind of cheese, put on baking sheet and cook in the oven under the broiler for 1-2 minutes (just long enough to melt the cheese).
- Serve immediately with the remaining salsa on top.
- Can be served on burger buns, or alongside a fresh garden salad, or fresh cut veggies.
- Other great toppings include homemade guacamole!