This delicious pancake recipe is great for weekend breakfasts with the family. A hit with kids and adults alike, it makes a tasty gluten free alternative to regular pancakes. The addition of ground flaxseed adds to the nutritional value too! Super tasty and a favourite for this mom to make for the whole fam! Recipe adapted from The G.I. Diet Diabetes Clinic by Rick Gallop.
Makes 16 pancakes, 6-8 servings
3/4 c large flake oats (you can buy certified gluten free oats)
2 c buttermilk
1 c gluten free flour mix
1/4 c ground flaxseed
1 tbsp brown sugar*
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c liquid egg (ex: Simply Egg Whites)
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
* you can use a sugar alternative if you’d prefer
- In a bowl, soak oats in buttermilk for 20 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine flour, flaxseed, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together liquid egg, oil and vanilla. Stir in soaked oats and buttermilk. Pour over flour mixture and stir until just mixed.
- Meanwhile, heat non-stick griddle or large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Pour about 1/4 c batter onto frying pan for each pancake. Cook until bubbles appear on top, about 2 minutes.
- Flip pancakes and cook for another 2 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.